I originally read this in a WSJ article back in 2005. The context is initial one-on-ones with your new team. I’ve used these questions with much success and highly recommend them. Make sure you ask them in the order below, as the first few questions will build some trust and ultimately should net you some good answers. Make sure you listen and allow no distractions, but don’t take notes – that will only freak out your new directs. An off-site meeting, like a lunch on you, is one good venue. The questions are:
- What do you want to keep / stay the same?
- What do you want to see changed?
- What do you hope I’ll do?
- What are you afraid I’ll do?
- What questions do you have for me?
As with , any of my other posts, feel free to swipe as you see fit. Good luck!